James River Insurance Company (JRIC) operates as an Excess & Surplus carrier in all 50 states plus Washington, DC. In Ohio, policies are underwritten by James River Casualty Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of James River Insurance Company.
The home office for JRIC is in Richmond, VA. We have smaller, satellite offices in Atlanta, GA and Scottsdale, AZ. The holding company for JRIC, James River Group, Inc. is located in Raleigh, NC. Our ultimate parent is James River Group Holdings, Ltd. located in Hamilton, Bermuda.
- James River Group was formed in mid-2002 and capitalized with private equity.
- James River Insurance Company opened its doors for business on July 1, 2003.
- In August 2005, James River Group, Inc. was taken public in an IPO and was listed on NASDAQ under the symbol JRVR.
- In December 2007, all outstanding shares of JRVR were acquired by a private investor group led by D.E Shaw Group including Goldman Sachs and several others. This holding company entity was named Franklin Holdings (Bermuda), Ltd. It was renamed James River Group Holdings, Ltd. in 2014.
- In December 2014, James River Group Holdings, Ltd. was taken public and again listed on NASDAQ under the symbol JRVR.
A.M. Best Co. assigned an initial rating of A- (Excellent) Financial Size VI to James River Insurance Company in July 2003 and has affirmed it each year since. In June, 2009, A.M. Best Co. increased the Financial Size to IX ($250 - $500 million in policyholder surplus) to reflect the group size rating for James River Group Holdings, Ltd. In July, 2016, A.M. Best Co. upgraded James River Insurance Company's rating from A- (Excellent) to A (Excellent). On August 14, 2018, A.M. Best Co. again affirmed James River's rating as A (Excellent). Our Financial Size rating has increased to X ($500 million to $750 million) and our outlook remains "Stable". On August 13, 2019, A.M. Best again affirmed James River's rating as A (Excellent). Our Financial Size rating remains X.
James River Insurance Company distributes its products through authorized wholesale brokers and MGA’s nationwide.
Our underwriting approach is defined by our focus on underwriting profit. We are not afraid of unusual or high-hazard risks, but seek to understand the exposure of each account fully and price for each accordingly. We aspire to be a great underwriting organization, and the only true measure of that achievement is underwriting profitably, year-in and year-out through all market cycles.